Sunday, May 31, 2009

Elementary School Memories

In thinking about the learning experiences I had, I think the majority of my educational memories come from elementary school. I attended Northmoor Elementary, in Englewood, Ohio. It was, and still is, the largest elementary school in the district, and when I was a student there, we had 6 classrooms in each grade and probably close to 30 students in each grade! The school's current website is http://www.northmontschools.com/nm/index.html.

Looking back on it, now through the lens of being an educator, 3 things stick out to me:

1) All throughout elementary school, we always had "specials" and recess. In all grades, each class had the following "specials":
Music ~ 1x per week
Art ~ 1x per week
Physical Education ~ 2x per week
Library ~ 1x per week
In addition, all grades had 3 (count 'em, 3) recesses each day: mid-morning, after lunch, mid-afternoon.

We had time to learn and play outside of the classroom and I believe, as an educator, that students, teachers, and schools were better for it.

2) I had a very strong foundation in phonemic awareness, phonics and spelling. To develop Phonemic Awareness we used "The Letter People" curriculum and to this day I remember the songs and attributes of the letters. I know many other people who feel the same way, and to this day can sing the opening song. (For more information on The Letter People, check out the Wikipedia article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Letter_People). Additionally, we had phonics and spelling textbooks and workbooks. At the time, I thought nothing of it, as it had always been a part of education experience. However, as an educator, I realize the importance of phonics and am thankful for the reinforcement I received.

3) Multiplication: I simply COULD NOT learn my multiplication facts until 6th grade. I remember, still with dread, the timed tests and "around the world" races in 3rd and 4th grade. I imagine I did a LOT of counting, as I understood the concept, and yet, the memorization aspect would not "stick". As an educator, I continue to be intrigued and curious as to "how students learn" and I try to be extra sensitive to students individual struggle, as I know from experience how difficult it can be.

Those are just the quick issues that have added to just a small part of who I am as a person and as an educator today. I wonder, what will the students we are presently teaching remember about their education?

4 comments:

  1. It's good that you had a good foundation to build upon. I'm especially impressed that you had all the extracurricular classes that you did. The students at my school wont be able to discuss recess or music. I think all schools should have a music teacher. Learning to play an instrument and having the ability to read music can take a student a long way in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used the Letter People too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing that there is a push to do away with all of the "'speials" in order to make room for learning? It makes no sense to drill kids with boring memorization and not allow a moment of joy at school. I don't think I could stand to spend day after day in a situation like that - and it isn't surprising that kids shut down to school at a young age. I remember moments of school - and none of those moments have anything to do with memorization or drill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I too, recall my days of youngster in elementary school. My memories are similar to yours. I had all of the "specials" in addition, I had recess, too. I remember in particular, in 4th grade we had Art, but it was from an "outside" teacher. In other words, a teacher would visit us weekly and give us these great art projects. One in particular was to build a house. Now, my house was not as elaborate as my some of my classmates, but I liked it. It was fun to make nonetheless. We, then, took a trip downtown and we looked and discussed the different building structures. Imagine a good of inner city children in the middle of downtown discussing building structures.

    ReplyDelete