Then I found 2 really cool resources on-line that help illustrate my thoughts. Please, take a few minutes and view these two videos.
For me, both of these videos bring up a number of questions. To be honest, it brings up so many questions that I can't even begin to list them all. Some of my "knee-jerk responses" to each video are as follows:
Video 1: Did You Know 4.0
~ Convergence of technology: How do we integrate it into the classroom?
~ What is the balance of traditional media vs. digital media in our lives and in the classroom?
~ How do we teach responsible media use (especially in the light of on-line purchasing, downloading, etc.) to our students?
~ Wikipedia: How can it be a platform for learning?
~ Text messaging: There is SO much to be learned from this form of communication, and little of it has to do with the myriad of abbreviations! ; )
~ Social networking: It can be used to raise funds, awareness, TEACH...the options are almost ENDLESS!!!
~ Mobile devices...they're here to stay...
Video 2: Yes, We Know
~ Asking questions is important, how do we teach that skill, with or without the Internet?
~ Past, present, and future: How do we teach those concepts, using the Internet?
~ Again, proper web-use...can it be taught, enforced, agreed upon?
~ Web 2.0, Web 1.0...do we know about the evolution of such, since it's all around us?
~ Our true opinion vs. what we're told our our opinion can/should be
~ Blame/censorship (an on-going debate, no matter the media option)
~ Individual/Group involvement in social media
~ Truth: What can be trusted, why?
~ Blogs: What is shared? How is it shared?
~ "Life on-line" vs. everyday life
~ "What does it all mean to parents, educators, responsible adults?"
~ Participation is important...imperative?!
~ Individual knowledge and acquisition of knowledge
~ Digital Natives vs. Digital Immigrants
However, the largest question that looms for me is this: "How do we---as a society, as educators, as humans---understand and integrate the Internet, and all that it brings, into our daily lives?"
To me, this a on-going challenge, one that, as an educator I should be in continual dialogue and discussion about. It's a new world out there, and I'm excited to be a part of it!
Your videos are not here to view, but I'm sure I've seen them before. I've also used them in presentations too. I think the messages in both have a huge impact on what it is going to take for educators to teach, and actually reach, a 21st-century learner. It means we have to be prepared ourselves so that we know what students are using the Internet for and how to train them to use it safely and constructively. This means teaching safe use guidelines and including the parents on this training. We have the ability to work more closely with our school communities as a result of communicating via Internet resources, which is a bonus in my book.
ReplyDeleteVery cool. I actually didn't use these exact videos, but ones with similar messages.
ReplyDelete